Tweak Arena Forums  

Go Back   Tweak Arena Forums > Computer Forums > Laptops > Asus

Old 13th August 2013, 22:37   #1
MaXimus
Administrator

Lightbulb ASUS G750JW Windows 8.1 clean install guide

This thread has now been moved to my new forum:

http://forum.maxgeeks.net/showthread.php?t=163

Last edited by MaXimus; 1st September 2013 at 17:15. Reason: Updated guide to Windows 8.1
MaXimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 22:37   #2
MaXimus
Administrator

This thread has now been moved to my new forum:

http://forum.maxgeeks.net/showthread.php?t=163
Old 13th November 2013, 10:34   #3
Arkatakor

Default Thank You

I own a G750jw and successfully made a clean install using this guide.

This is probably the most complete, no-assumptions-made and comprehensive guide I have ever seen for installing a fresh OS.

I made it a point to register to post my thanks. Have a good one!
Old 13th November 2013, 10:44   #4
MaXimus
Administrator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkatakor View Post
I own a G750jw and successfully made a clean install using this guide.

This is probably the most complete, no-assumptions-made and comprehensive guide I have ever seen for installing a fresh OS.

I made it a point to register to post my thanks. Have a good one!
Thank you for registering and welcome to the Tweak Arena forums. Your feedback is highly appreciated, and as you say, this is a no assumptions guide, meaning, everything should work perfectly starting from the OS installation all the way to the drivers which are always updated unlike the ASUS website or ROG forums who don't even know where they stand.
Graphics: Dual GeForce GTX 770M SLI 6 GB GDDR5 RAM + Intel HD Graphics 4600
Sound: Realtek ALC668 HD Audio
Storage: 2x Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD (RAID 0) + Samsung 840 EVO 1TB mSATA SSD
Screen: Dell 18.4" WLED FHD (1920 X 1080) TrueLife Display IPS 16:9 1080p [SDC4C48]
LAN: Killer Networks e2200 Gigabit Ethernet
WLAN: Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac Wireless
Old 13th November 2013, 11:17   #5
Arkatakor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix Leader View Post
Thank you for registering and welcome to the Tweak Arena forums. Your feedback is highly appreciated, and as you say, this is a no assumptions guide, meaning, everything should work perfectly starting from the OS installation all the way to the drivers which are always updated unlike the ASUS website or ROG forums who don't even know where they stand.
Yes indeed, I was disgusted to find out that on top of that they are barring any mention of this site. Very disappointing.
Old 19th February 2014, 15:59   #6
Aspec1989

Good guide, i just purchased a G750JW and im picking it up friday, bought an ssd as well to swap in, figure buying the 8.1 disc will be the easiest way, so curious at which steps to skip, or is it pretty easy with the disc and do i just gotta get my bios coded windows key? Or do i have to follow some steps here still?

Rog forums have zero info on a clean install... only seen posts about cloning recovery section to usb drive then installing it... people dont seem very helpful over there either lol

Also forgot to ask, are all these drivers listed current or should i go to asus website to download them?

Last edited by Aspec1989; 19th February 2014 at 16:20.
Old 19th February 2014, 16:41   #7
MaXimus
Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspec1989 View Post
Good guide, i just purchased a G750JW and im picking it up friday, bought an ssd as well to swap in, figure buying the 8.1 disc will be the easiest way, so curious at which steps to skip, or is it pretty easy with the disc and do i just gotta get my bios coded windows key? Or do i have to follow some steps here still?

Rog forums have zero info on a clean install... only seen posts about cloning recovery section to usb drive then installing it... people dont seem very helpful over there either lol

Also forgot to ask, are all these drivers listed current or should i go to asus website to download them?
1) The drivers are the latest current which have been tested by me personally and are also listed on the ASUS website for the G750JW under Windows 8.1 Drivers. Feel free to search for more updated ones although I don't recommend it as they won't necessarily bring enhancements PLUS, since you are new to this laptop, start out the safe route before you run into random errors and not know where to start looking.

ASUS Driver Search if you wanna take your chances and possible render your laptop FUBAR and not able to boot (I'm serious it's so sensitive to drivers)

2) Why do you want to buy a disc?

a) if your laptop comes with a Windows 8 Single Language license then there is no disc to buy only OEMs provide it or you can download the official ISO which is in this thread. If your laptop came with the Core or Pro license which is a very rare case especially on a G750JW, then you can buy the disc but there is no benefit to that

b) the ISO here is a genuine untouched ISO from Microsoft and will activate without any cracks, simply use the default installation key which is mentioned in the guide, then when you are in Windows use your own key to activate

3) Before you do anything, find your key and write it down, and also, right click on Computer, then go to properties, and read out what edition of Windows 8 you have (Windows 8, or Windows 8 Pro) [core will not say core it will just say Windows 8]

Another way to find the key which is built in to the BIOS is:

How to view the Windows 8 Product Key embedded in BIOS?

NOTE: ENSURE YOU ONLY HAVE YOUR SSD CONNECTED WHILE INSTALLING WINDOWS OTHERWISE YOUR BOOT FILES WILL BE COPIED TO YOUR HDD AS WELL CAUSING SLOW BOOT UP. AFTER YOU INSTALL AND ACTIVATE WINDOWS, CONNECT THE SECOND DRIVE AFTER RENAMING YOUR BD-R0M DRIVE LETTER TO SOMETHING LIKE E: OR F: VIA THE COMPUTER MANAGEMENT > DISK MANAGEMENT
Old 19th February 2014, 18:58   #8
Aspec1989

I have the bestbuy version so im guessing its the single language one? Itll be at the store Friday so ill have it then.

the iso can be mounted to a usb flashdrive correct? So ill save the 100$ and do it that way lol, prolly use the 100 for an external hdd for all my other stuff, ssd for windows and games.

Is the ram in the pc good and/or would replacing it with corsair vengeance provide any extra performance gains or no?

Not sure what fubar is.. so ill stick with your posted drivers, you keep them up to date constantly right? And if it does happen is there a fix? Like just reformatting and doing another fresh install?
Old 19th February 2014, 22:23   #9
MaXimus
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspec1989 View Post
I have the bestbuy version so im guessing its the single language one? Itll be at the store Friday so ill have it then.

the iso can be mounted to a usb flashdrive correct? So ill save the 100$ and do it that way lol, prolly use the 100 for an external hdd for all my other stuff, ssd for windows and games.

Is the ram in the pc good and/or would replacing it with corsair vengeance provide any extra performance gains or no?

Not sure what fubar is.. so ill stick with your posted drivers, you keep them up to date constantly right? And if it does happen is there a fix? Like just reformatting and doing another fresh install?
FUBAR = Fucked up beyond any recovery (in other ways, dead)

The ISO provided in the guide can be mounted to a USB flash disk in GPT/UEFI mode and that's the recommended installation method.

Please read the guide I've spent so much time in getting everything right from A to Z where would wouldn't have any doubts
Old 20th February 2014, 00:20   #10
Aspec1989

Ill be sure to friday when i pick up my laptop and hopefully the ssd shows up also. If i run into any problems ill come back on here for help, way better than the rog forums from what ive seen so far.

Thanks

Tags
asus, clean, g750jw, guide, install, windows 8.1